Testing is the Only Way to Know
Legionnaires’ Disease is contracted by inhaling aerosolized water droplets containing the Legionella bacteria. The only way to know if you have Legionella in your water systems is to test.
Periodic testing is important for all water systems but is especially important for complex water systems such as those associated with hospitals and long-term care facilities. Periodic testing as part of your water management program helps you manage your risk of causing a Legionnaires’ Disease outbreak.
You can do the water sampling yourself by following the procedures given to you by a Legionella consultant or you can hire a trained water management company to obtain the samples for you. Solid Blend Technologies' water technologists receive special training in Legionella Detection, Remediation, Control, and Outbreak Response and will be happy to assist you with your testing needs.
NOTE: In order to get accurate results, there are very specific procedures for water sample collection and shipping – please see the CDC Sampling Procedure Document for more information.
All systems that put water into the air should be tested including:
- Potable water outlets - note: potable (drinking) water sources account for 2/3 of healthcare-associated outbreaks
- Faucets or taps
- Ice machines
- Whirlpool spas, hot tubs or hydrotherapy pools
- Evaporative condensers
- Humidifiers / nebulizers
- Bubblers for oxygen
- Water used for respiratory therapy equipment
- Decorative fountains
- Potable water systems
- Incoming water main
- Water softeners
- Holding tanks, cisterns
- Water heaters or hot water holding tanks
- Cooling towers
- Irrigation equipment
- Fire sprinkler systems
Solid Blend uses and strongly suggests the use of a CDC ELITE Certified Lab when testing for Legionella bacteria. These labs have been specifically trained in developing the Legionella culture and identifying the bacteria. Many clinical labs are not able to generate accurate results which potentially leaves you open to liability.
Contact Us Today!
WHY You Need Solid Blend
- Each of Solid Blend’s water technologists has completed extensive training on Legionella from the world’s best experts as well as the Association of Water Technologies
- Our water technologists are experts in water system maintenance and Legionella control and have been actively involved in many short-term and long-term Legionella projects as well as outbreak response situations
- Solid Blend is active on the Legionella Task Force Panel with the Ohio Department of Health
- Solid Blend is well-versed in the requirements of ANSI / ASHRAE Standard 188-2018 – Legionellosis: Risk Management for Building Water Systems in which the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) is requiring compliance and on which the CDC based its water management recommendations
- Solid Blend knows and understands the required EPA regulations and works closely with the Ohio and U.S. EPA on Legionella projects
- Solid Blend actively raises awareness of the need for and methods of Legionella control by conducting Summits and training sessions
- Our service and equipment solutions will give you confidence that your water systems are secure from water borne pathogens like Legionella and in compliance with best practices and legal requirements