Reduce Your Risk of a Legionnaires' Disease Outbreak
All facilities have some Legionella in their water systems - the keys to help prevent outbreaks and reduce risks are:
- Creating and Implementing a Water Management Plan (see below for more information)
- Proactive Monitoring
- Controlling Unacceptable Levels of Legionella
The CDC states that 9 out of 10 Legionnaires’ Disease outbreaks can be prevented by implementing a Water Management Plan
Water Management Plan
In June 2017 the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) issued a requirement to reduce Legionella risk in healthcare facility water systems. Hospitals, long-term care facilities, and others that fail to comply may lose their CMS funding.
Solid Blend Technologies, Special Pathogens Lab, and our other partners are here to help you create and implement the water management plan for your facility. For years we have been involved with the development of the ANSI / ASHRAE 188-2015 Standard Legionellosis: Risk Management for Building Water Systems on which the CMS requirements and CDC Legionella Toolkit are based.
Contact Us today because no matter where you are in your water management plan development, we will help you get it finished and implemented so your facility is not at risk of causing a Legionnaires’ Disease outbreak or of losing your CMS funding.
Proactive monitoring for the growth of Legionella is a crucial component of any facility’s Water Management Program. The only way to know if you have Legionella in your water systems is to test.
Periodic testing is important for all water systems but is especially important for complex water systems such as those associated with hospitals and long-term care facilities. Proactive monitoring as part of your water management program helps you manage your risk of causing a Legionnaires’ Disease outbreak.
Controlling Unacceptable Levels of Legionella
Ongoing monitoring may show that Remediation
brought the condition under control or it may show the continued growth of Legionella. When Legionella levels remain high after remediation activities, secondary disinfection systems may be needed. Some of the most industry-respected control mechanisms include:
- Monochloramine Generators
- Chlorine Dioxide Generators
- Chlorine Systems
- Copper Silver Ion Systems
WHY You Need Solid Blend
- Each of Solid Blend’s water technologists has completed extensive training on Legionella from the world’s best experts as well as the Association of Water Technologies
- Our water technologists are experts in water system maintenance and Legionella control and have been actively involved in many short-term and long-term Legionella projects as well as outbreak response situations
- Solid Blend is active on the Legionella Task Force Panel with the Ohio Department of Health
- Solid Blend is well-versed in the requirements of ANSI / ASHRAE 188-2015 – Legionellosis: Risk Management for Building Water Systems in which the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) is requiring compliance and on which the CDC based its water management recommendations
- Solid Blend knows and understands the required EPA regulations and works closely with the Ohio and U.S. EPA on Legionella projects
- Solid Blend actively raises awareness of the need for and methods of Legionella control by conducting Summits and training sessions
- Our service and equipment solutions will give you confidence that your water systems are secure from water borne pathogens like Legionella and in compliance with best practices and legal requirements
WHEN You Need Solid Blend
- As you are developing your Water Management Program - Solid Blend’s extensively trained and experienced Legionella control experts will assure your program is in compliance with all the elements of the CDC toolkit, ANSI/ASHRAE 188 standard and any EPA requirements (and CMS requirements, as applicable)
- As you are monitoring your Legionella levels – Solid Blend will help you with your Detection by collecting water samples from your critical control points (as defined in your Water Management Plan) and get them evaluated
- When you find unacceptable levels of Legionella in your water system – Solid Blend serves as the service arm of your Water Management Plan. We will perform Remediation to get the Legionella levels back to acceptable standards or, if Legionella growth continues, provide advice on which secondary disinfection system(s) and/or point-of-use filtration will work best for your facility and then help you obtain and maintain those systems.
Contact Us Today!